If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you are lucky enough.

When something bad happens, you have three choices: let it define you, let it destroy you, or let it strengthen you.

Saturday, August 14, 2021

Pikes Peak, MY mountain


According to the video and an article I stumbled upon, 2021 commemorates 100 years since Fred Barr accomplished his idea of building the trail up America's Mountain, even though the sign that is near the top of the Peak, says the trail was built in 1914-1918. I am not going to argue, because the Barr trail, and the Pikes Peak, are always worthy celebration for me.

Thus I continue with my quest for this year of an ascent of Pikes Peak in each calendar month. If someone ever thinks I just roll off the bed at 3:30 am, thrilled to put my running clothes and a pack on, and set out in the dark - think again. Just as with my weekly Incline climbs, it takes commitment and blocking any excuses, each and every time. Yet, once I set my foot on the trail, 20 minutes in, give or take, I am so happy to have concurred the negative thoughts and be exactly where I am.

In the times I summited Pikes Peak, all of 16 now, I became intimately familiar with a lot of features. Not as good as Matt Carpenter, when he trained on - and raced dozens of times - Pikes Peak, or as many locals who lived here for decades and are in love with the Barr trail, but I would say I am just as attached to each turn and rock and the views as I was when I lived in Portland - to Columbia River Gorge, and called My Church the trails I frequented most: Larch Mountain, Devils Rest, Angels Rest, Whakeena Falls. My Church is now here, I belong to Pikes Peak trail system.

Every time I set out, I promise not to take many pictures, I mean, how many can I have? Yet, I can't seem to stop gasping a little as I round a corner and get a first glimpse of the mountain that lays up and ahead of me. It is daunting, and even if not as towering as Mt. Hood, not any less breathtaking.  
Simultaneously, the sun starts its rise over the opposite side of the sky, and I always, always make a turn to look back. That moment, this is what it's all worth, the lack of sleep, the dark drive, the butterflies...
I parked downtown this time, knowing that the Barr parking lot would be full even that early, and it was - tourist season in full swing. I passed many groups and solo hikers, and by the time Barr camp was in view, I was all alone. I always relax right about here, setting in a groove, at the half-way point. Another 2.5 miles, past the A-frame - and I am above tree line, on the rocks, taking in the magnificent huge views 360 degrees.
Next weekend is Pikes Peak Ascend and Marathon, and I was certain I would see the final prep of 3-2-1 repeats for the runners I might know. 2.5 years, and we're slowly (despite all the shut downs) begin to acquaint with the local trail runners. I get to hug local super-star Tina (always smiling!), and then a seasoned trail veteran Ann, plus a few more guys huffing and puffing. Cheering them on, I keep my eyes on the ground, and work hard to get to the top.
As tired as I felt in July, a mere week after my bail-out of CT attempt, this day was different, so as the morning developed, I kept on pushing the pace, little by little. I got to the top in my "average" time, not the fastest, but far from slowest (as far as summer conditions are concerned). Took a photo at my "normal" spot, and then decided to venture into the newly constructed walkway bridges/cog rail/new Visitor's center. I haven't done that since they shut down the top and started all the construction work - and boy, was it different!




A quick turn-around, and it was time to head down. While the way up was only mildly pushed, for some odd reason I decided to run down a little, well, not faster, but more of parts I usually try to take careful - rockiest, loosest, root-infested portions. 

Photos by Ann Labosky just at A-frame - thanks, selfies can only be taken for so much before getting on nerves of everyone!

I kept at it, and when made back to Barr and checked my watch, was quite excited for the time. While beginning to get tired, the proposition of setting some kind of  best time on the downhill kept me moving all the way down, and indeed, I PR'ed the top-to-TH section for sure. One thing for sure, damn tourists need to learn trail etiquette! No matter how far in advance and how loud I announce "Coming from behind, passing on the right/left, whenever you can", all I get is "deer in the headlights" effect, stopping in the middle, or scooting randomly opposite directions. Nearly wiped out a few times in the last 3 miles, the most populated part of Barr trail. Also, saw a dozen of folks from the city works picking up and carrying huge Styrofoam parts and other big garbage blown off the peak during construction. I normally do my part and pick up a few granola wrappers - but I draw the line at tissue and napkins. Nasty!
Once down all the way off the trail, I take it easy through the downtown back to my car, navigating more tourists (standing in the middle of the sidewalk in big groups, yet again), and home in 15 minutes. So blessed to live so close to this amazing place! 

Speaking of which, I was browsing FKT website (which I am quite addicted to), and stumbled upon something I just had to remedy. Now I am a proud owner of (not so fast) FKT on winter Pikes Peak ascend:) Check this out!

Looks like this Pikes 26.6 miles was my one and only long run for the upcoming trail marathon, as the following week Larry and I are off to help our young friend Annie Hughes at Leadville 100. Saturday, we went to the local system of trails for some recovery hike/run/exploring, and then - Rudy's tacos.


Trails, while seemingly the most important part of my personal life, are not the only part. The week was full of work, gym, yoga, fun chats with neighbors, and a couple of dates out. Trying to take full advantage of Colorado summer, we probably have another month, and the first snow will come! 




1 comment:

Ann Labosky said...

Olga!! I'm thrilled to find your blog!! Your articles are WONDERFUL!! So many great ones to read :) . It was so wonderful seeing you up on the Peak again, and thanks for taking/posting our pic together!! I have several pics of you descending thru the A-frame area; let me know where to text/email them to you. I was corresponding with Gary Robbins about the upcoming Whistler races, and mentioned that we'd seen you on the upper part of PP, and that you said to say, "Hi!" to him. I included one of the pics of you near Aframe. He responded with, "Oh wow, blast from the past! She looks great :)"