If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you are lucky enough.

When something bad happens, you have three choices: let it define you, let it destroy you, or let it strengthen you.

Thursday, May 23, 2019

Goodbye, Austin

9 years and 10 months. Exactly to date, I rolled into Austin in my car on July 30th, 2009. We're rolling out of it, together, on May 30th, 2019, pretty much on the proposed time frame agreed upon when we got engaged and made life's plans. We're moving to the mountains...
Ah. If you think the word "excitement" was in our vocabulary in the last month, you'd be so wrong. It's been stressful, sad, depressing, overwhelming, and all kind of negative things. In fact, to such extent, we resented this "dream move". Until on the Sunday of 19th we, quite literally, decided to give a conscious effort to stop being so pessimistic about what we're leaving behind, and turn it into "we'll be coming back, and there is much ahead". Because, yes, we'll be coming back. Larry's job requires (not really, but he'll benefit from) a showing up from time to time, we estimate every 2-3 months for a few days. My job was thrilled to put me on the schedule for any given days and hours and contact my regular clients - and every single client enthusiastically agreed to be on email list for that. And this will assure we will see our friends - because, in a positive, if sad-to-let-go, way, we've sort of "discovered" we have great friends who love us! What we don't see in daily lives...how often it's true with everything, once you part with someone or something.
The farewell celebrations of our friendships were extremely touching and beautiful. Made us feel special. I don't have any of Larry's work-related photos (of course), but rest assured he'd been take out so many times, we both will need a serious diet hit once we move. I will just include pictures from dates I was on.
My bestie Marta from UT science job, a human with whom I can not only be myself (I always am), but never be afraid of not be accepted and loved. I can whine, complain, bitch, and find a shoulder and ear in her, and we can laugh at the most difficult things at the end of it all. She is an amazing human, one I am most vulnerable with.
We had a great Sunday night tasting exquisite cheese selection with Pam and Peter.
Our old gang of ultrarunning friends, our yearly "backyard party" and Henry's "Crawfish boil" peeps, the ones who stood by even as we all fell of the training and racing scene, threw us a great "pizza, beer and lies" at Janice and Gabe's house.






We had lunches, coffee, chats, hugs. My work place threw me a "farewell" as well, and it was a blast. I got emails and words I didn't know my co-workers felt about me.
"I just looked at the June schedule and it was just heartbreaking that your name was not on there.  Heartbreaking! Today in the break room someone mentioned you leaving and I said “Myo w/o Olga just doesn’t seem right” and then Katy V got chills from sadness about it.  CHILLS!!  So sad.  I’ve only known you a little while and I will miss getting to know you more. I know you’ll create a meaningful life in Colo Spgs since you did that so well here.  Apparently it’s how you roll! "
"I'll miss you in your spot with your knitting.   It's almost as calming watching someone knit as knitting yourself!   I will miss your  your humor, your work ethic, your sharp mind, and someone always saying, I have no idea what she just said, as you walk out the door.  And who's going to be the recycling police now! "
Nearly all Myo-ans came to a local Tex-Mex to say good-bye - it was, in the bosses' words, THE biggest get-together for a farewell we had! I was profoundly, deeply touched by it, and by each and every one of their hug, word, tear...and it was a blast, too.




All the while we've been packing and selling stuff (as we chose not to take any furniture at all to our new home and start from scratch), and purging all the little (and not so much little) things we've accumulated and which fell through the cracks in various nooks and crannies. Knowing that our new home is 829 sq fr with far fewer closets makes one to look at each item with scrutiny.
I let go of my baby car. It had served me for nearly 12 years, and this little Honda Civic with no frills (but great gas mileage) made it worth every penny I paid when I picked it up as my divorce "cancellation prize". It was bitter sweet, but alas, we'll need some 4-wheel mode of transportation once in CO.
And the house...just like that, barely short of 8 years of creating memories and putting so much into it being our wonderful home. Just check out what we move into, and what we left, and I am not even going to try and post comparing photos of the insides, those are mind blowing!


There was more happening. The whole move, as we planned it, was tied up to Larry's son graduation from high school. What a fine young man he has become! Larry's mother flew in from Oklahoma to celebrate, and the ceremony was beautiful, with plenty of tears, both happy and sad as this chapter closes, and new begins.
Of course, we are working until the last day. I, literally, have my clients on Thursday, and from there walking out into U-Haul. I am sure we'll cry a lot, rolling out of our driveway...

Austin. Friends. Oh, the acceptance of all weird, quirky, dorky, odd-off, and speaking with an accent...With me, what you see is what you get. And if at times someone thought I was mean, I apologize. I am just straight as a rail, and the phrasing comes in s sentence built in Russian. That Russian upbringing...we don't have time to mince words:) But if you happened to touch my soul, this is forever. If I said something nice, I meant every damn word, every letter of it. Know that.

I came to Austin 10 years ago, and I always knew 2019 will be the summer we move to the mountains. This was the deal. I am a mountain person, a 4-season person, I need snow in the winter, turning colors in the fall, fresh dainty green in the spring - and NOT 100F and 90% humidity in the summer! :) At the time this day seemed so, so far away. Yet, somehow, life rolled on, and here it is. We are moving to the mountains...and we are very sad to leave Austin behind.



This is not "прощай" (not "goodbye forever"). This is a "see you soon".


I know we have so much ahead to look forward to, and we'll create meaningful life in a new place. I've done it so many times before. It is always scary - and with age it gets scarier. But you've got to follow your dreams. If only I could take everyone here with me. :(

Be well, Austin peeps. I will miss you. I will be back. And if you ever happen to pass by Colorado Springs, you got my email, give a shout, I'll have good coffee (they surely know how to brew it there) and a heart-to-heart conversation with you, and if you're brave enough, I'll drag you up Incline! ;)

6 comments:

floridaman5115 said...

Hi Olga,
I have been following your blog for sometime. I am so jealous that you are moving to Colorado Springs. I have been wanting to move to Colorado for some time, sick of the Florida summers! If you don't mind be asking, are you renting, buying, house, condo? Colorado has gotten so expensive in the past few years. Are the housing prices comparable to Austin? Colorado housing is way more money compared to Florida.

Olga said...

Hi! COS is one of the "cheaper" places in CO Front Range (vs Boulder and other North part of it). There are even less expensive places, like Pueblo. We bought a house a while ago preparing to move. CO is definitely more expensive than FL, but COS is somewhat less so than Austin. We came out ok on the "switch".

Sarah said...

Olga...I just caught up on the past 6 months of your blog. I'm so glad that your 10 year dream is finally coming true. I can't believe it's been that long since you left Portland! Safe travels to you and Larry!

P.S. I put Tweak on hold at the library. I recently changed careers and currently work for a non-profit providing substance use disorder treatment so very interested in books on the topic.

Summer Sights said...

Olga, I'm so excited for you! I just remembered to check your blog and didn't know you were already gone before making my next massage appointment. Sad for me, but I am glad you get to live your dream. Sending you best wishes for a happy life in Colorado!

Olga said...

Sarah, wow, that is a change in jobs...it must be heart-wrenching. Thanks for reading so far back!

Olga said...

Summer, sorry I didn't get to see you one more time, but I'll be back sometimes in August for a few days at Myo!