If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you are lucky enough.

When something bad happens, you have three choices: let it define you, let it destroy you, or let it strengthen you.

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Moscow, the Beautiful.

https://picasaweb.google.com/102416223972681439438/MoscowTheBeautifulJune2015

With Facebook overtaking any other media connection, here are the snippets I posted as my trip to Moscow went along...

Just talked to Olga. She made it safely to Moscow. Right now, she has no way of communicating via internet (i.e. Facebook). Her Sister's internet isn't working, which is the least of her problems since there is no (zero!) hot water due to "building maintenance" occurring this week. The things we take for granted here in the U.S. and the difficulty most people have in understanding the true nature of Russia. If she can't get online, don't expect to hear from her until late next Tuesday. FYI...


This could be my one and only time to say Hi during my week in Mother-Land! Ever since I took Larry King to Moscow a few years back, I learned to discover new places and connect dots of the ones I knew. Moscow has miles of wild parks and amazing buildings, old and new alike. Walked 35,000 steps yesterday, and then lost my step-measuring clip-on as walked another hour. I am inspired and amazed, and summer is beautiful here. So proud of my nation, its rich history (Moscow was built in 1147!) and its people's kindness, beauty, strength and resilience. I will never stop being Russian.


Positive emotion #57: went to run loops around local lake this morning. A young boy (15 yo) fell in stride and began chatting. He is "HLS" (Healthy Life Style, in Russian abbreviation, of course, which he had to spell for me) - no drinking, smoking or drugs, pro-exercise, and in general a great human being. In 45 min we discussed his life in school and soccer and my life in America and mountain ultrarunning and career, with advice on weight lifting and running (he just started), and ending him wishing me healthy kids and parents and a kind husband. Bonus: in this weather, I didn't need to spend too long in cold shower to clean up, sweating was minimal!

It is nearly impossible to choose the photos to share, and I know only a few will see the full albumhttps://picasaweb.google.com/102…/MoscowTheBeautifulJune2015. I had walked more of Moscow than I did in my entire lifetime there, and I am sorry I wasted my youth working, studying and partying (in that order) instead of exploring as I despised the city I moved to when I was 12. Sadly, we grow wise with years. The combination of amazing miles of parks within the city limit and buildings of old town of merchants with churches on every street and newer - the Stalin era, and then the 21st century - is insane. The history, the strength, the beauty. My people never give up and always survive and thrive, regardless what those at power throw at them. And Moscow gets more and more beautiful every year I come. My parents, on the other hand, get older and lonelier, and so is my sister, and leaving them behind gets more and more difficult...what, on a positive side, means I have more visits to explore ahead of me. The difference in two worlds I live in, Russia and USA, is vast, and every time coming back is hard to get back into abundance and entitlement. Yes, they got all that, but most people have to make much more simple choices daily - and, despite being in America for 22 years, I still prefer just that. Life is simple. The rest is layers of stuff nobody truly needs.
The great realization is that I am so blessed I have people in both worlds who love me unconditionally and eagerly wait for me to come, whether to visit or to live. I am blessed.
 Stats on my Moscow visit: 
- I knitted 21 hats (once an addict...but truly, I had an order, and utilized my time in public transportation wisely)
- I walked somewhere in a vicinity of 40 miles in 6 days (I mapped a few of my outings, so this is the best estimate, conservatively)
- I only ran twice, but my average pace was a full min/mile faster
- my favorite weather is 21C (70F), and I feel even 1 degree after that, not to mention humidity (the day after rain the run was much less fun)
- I lost 3.5 lbs - our American portion control is out of control, despite my healthy cooking from scratch and using smaller plates. Also, snacking is overrated, even "healthy" snacking.
- I figured why Russians don't drink water (those who know me always surprised that unless I exercise, the bottle is not coming with me): the public restrooms either don't exist or you better run for your life away from those you find
- I spent only $30 on yarn and 60 rubles on 1 ice-cream. Even with my frugality, I spend way more here: the costs are the same, the wants are less there, even if you do have money. Just different mentality
- it gets dark at 10 pm in Moscow, and the first light comes out shortly after 3 am. At 4 am the sun rays shining in my windows woke me up every darn morning! But the long day allows you to do so much more
- we turned on TV only once (and even that was because my sister had guests. I thought I don't watch the "box" often, but it's on for 2 hrs every night
- my father called me fat. And while the choice of words could be better and I got my feelings hurt, the truth is, our American view on normal is distorted
- a good half of Russian women wear either dresses or skirts, as well as always nice shoes, many with heels. They look beautiful! While I am not jumping at the "heels" idea, the pants all around, comfortable and stuff, really are not appealing.
- no or slow internet frees up time. Why am on FB right now? People actually communicate, even texting is more personal
- Russians (at least those I know) live by the Oz principles: if you need something to happen, you are the one doing it. Don't expect things to fall on your laps or mom/pop/Gov't come and help
- every time I come back, I am inspired for so much in my life





























3 comments:

Peter Groves said...

Thanks for a very interesting post. Moscow is one of my favourite cities in the world. Where can you recommend for running, near the centre? The Boulevard Ring is convenient, and infinitely better than it sounds, but I get a little nervous about crossing too many streets.

Olga said...

Peter, I would say the parks like Victory park, Fili park, Los' are the best. Izmailovo too. I just run on the streets where my family lives, but that's because my visits are short.

Steve Ansell said...

Thanks for sharing your trip and your perspective. Always enjoy reading of your travels.