If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you are lucky enough.

When something bad happens, you have three choices: let it define you, let it destroy you, or let it strengthen you.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Hornet Juice, race dissection and family time.

OK, I had promised to give some personal views on a new product out there, and I tend to keep my promises.

A few weeks ago I had received an email from somebody referred from my blog site with an offer to try Hornet Juice . This is what it had in there along with other things that drew my attention:

Just a brief description about Hornet Juice – it contains a unique combination of amino acid which increase athletic endurance by encouraging the body to burn fat for energy. It also reduces muscle fatigue and improves recovery.
This can sound like any other sports drink but the amino acid mixture is based on the same mixing ratio equivalent to the nutrient liquid produced by hornet larvae (hence the name). Strange as it may sound, don't let the name put you off;-) You can read more about Hornet Juice at http://www.hornetjuice.com


So on I went to the website and read more . I’ll point out few things I liked most to spare you from browsing too much – although I recommend it:

Most sports nutrition products on the market function to replace energy that has been lost through exercise by replenishing your body’s glycogen stores. This is principally done by eating and/or drinking high carbohydrate foods, gels, bars and drinks (which replace lost electrolytes as well).
Hornet Juice serves a different purpose, which is to help your body metabolize its store of fat for energy, thereby preserving your glycogen stores.
Therefore, because Hornet Juice works differently it does not compete with traditional sports nutrition products, but compliments them. In fact, Hornet Juice should be used in conjunction with them.
Hornet Juice is a powdered sports drink that you mix with water or your favorite electrolyte drink, which you take before, during and after exercise, to give you increased energy, endurance and improved recovery time. Hornet Juice works as a trigger for the oxidation of fat, which provides you with an abundant and long lasting source of energy.
It has 17 Amino Acids including: Proline, Glycine, Lysine, Threonine, Leucine, Tyrosine, Valine, Isoleucine, Alanine, Arginine, Phenylalanine, Glutamic Acid, Tryptophan, Histidine, Methionine, Serine, Aspartic Acid.

What are its benefits?
1. Increased endurance and energy.
2. Convert body fat into long lasting energy from the start of exercise.
3. Reduced lactic acid build-up.
4. Improved recovery so you are fresh for your next training session.
5. Reduce your perceived effort and heart rate during physical activity.
6. Reduce muscle fatigue, cramping and burning.
7. Lessen your chance of injury.
8. Avoid the 'bloated feeling' you get from other sport drinks.
9. Lose extra body fat when exercising.
10. You will find exercise, training and racing easier and feel stronger.
11. Better maintain hydration during physical activity.
12. Be able to achieve sudden bursts of energy when required.
13. Ease post training/race day soreness....including hangovers too!
14. Have improved liver and kidney functions.
15. Have better central nervous system response during exercise.


What is my personal experience?
I had taken one packet in my first bottle of Perpetium (carb mix of choice) and in my third bottle of it. First of all, it has a bit of a taste, that adds on to my tasteless mix that I use (I prefer it this way), but not too much to cause gagging effect (what I easily get). Secondly, it gave me no stomach problems (a.k.a. gas, diarrhea, constipation, reflux, sour stomach and so on, nothing) whatsoever, and that along was a great plus (I am really horrible with my tummy aches at the race!). Now, I can’t claim if it helped me use my fat (what I have plenty and more of) and preserve muscle glycogen or not. I was really good on my fueling and hydration this time (actually, I was really good at it this year at all my races, it helps to be slow, more time to remember to consume calories). But – I had no cramps, no bloating, no fatigue, and no soreness. I was able to run much more of the course than I ever thought I would (I always claim I am not a runner, I am a power-hiker and a downhiller), including gentle and not-so-gentle upgrade and those last 4 miles. Speaking of which, by latest measurements what I was told as “under 4M” came to anything between 4 and 4.8 by people’s electronic gadgets. I am glad I didn’t know it when I left the last AS, but it makes my finishing pace under 10 min/mile, what is insane. So was it because of Hornet Juice or because I am slowly accumulating some fitness, or a combination of two, or more than simply that? I don’t know. I will need to explore it more – and I will come back to it. After all, I have enough samples to get me through another month, I am sure I’ll have a certain idea if I like it enough to buy it. For now I will recommend to check out the website and may be get a sample. It’s pretty cheap and has free shipping too!

A few pictures of family bowling Saturday before the race: Oleg won hand down, neither one of the three of us has a hand-eye coordination, there is a reason I refuse to play any ball sport. But it was fun, although my right shoulder gave me pain when I had to carry my bottle the next day:)






I am back in a saddle for high miles week (Hornet Juice or not, but I feel good, may be a little flat, but not slow and not achy anywhere). I did miss track workout on Tuesday (while still running twice that day) due to Oleg turning big 4-0. You know, I ran when he turned 39, when he was 38, when he rang 37...40 was big enough reason to take him out:) OK, the whole family went to a very nice restaurant (something we never do)and had good meal and great time (we didn't even argue once, keeping all conversations neutral, about nothing personal). I might need a visit to chiropractor as my right behind/back junction is tight and hurts, but it's minor. It's raining again in Portland, and I also need to squeeze a few Bikram (hot yoga) sessions to get some heat training before Zane Grey. Arizona is in just a bit more than a week!!

4 comments:

Backofpack said...

I'm going to wait till you've used up your samples and have decided if you like it. Thanks for being the guinea pig!

Jack said...

The hornet juice sounds interesting, I wonder if it is/will be available in Germany - I'll have to surf.

I haven't gone bowling in ages, that would be some fun cross-training with my wife - thanks for the idea.

Sarah said...

I wish I could be slow like you. : ) I believe that last leg was 4+ miles. It took Marc an hour to complete that section. He walked a lot but he was walking fast...faster than 15 min miles. Thanks for the report on the hornet juice.

Happy Birthday to Oleg! You didn't bake him a cake? ; ) : )

Anonymous said...

~.....