If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you are lucky enough.

When something bad happens, you have three choices: let it define you, let it destroy you, or let it strengthen you.

Sunday, October 17, 2021

Sage Burner - a successful end of the racing season

I won't drag this long, as during the 50k on Saturday I had plenty of time to have one thought: boy, I will have nothing to write. And I like it this way! It was as uneventful of a race as it can be, which lead to a great day in many ways.

For a couple of weeks I dreaded the decision on what to do with my last race entry. I even emailed RD's, lovely Justin and Denise Ricks, for the exact rules, and then had Larry forward me hotel reservation in Gunnison to read when would be the last moment to cancel. On Wednesday morning, as I drove to the gym, I looked at the clock in the car: 7:45, I still have 15 min prior 72 hrs cancellation cut off. Got inside, started workout, and after each set, I would be like: I can still walk into the gym's office, get on the computer, and cancel. At 8 am that part was over. I still had until Thursday 4 pm to cancel hotel and recover that money. The clock ticked, and I kept stalling. Once I passed that moment, too, I was committed. I texted Theresa: at the minimum, we're going to Gunnison, seeing Annie and Noah and helping out. The weather prediction for the start of the race was 11F. What do you even wear in this temp?!

The drive was good, the coffee in Gunnison was yummy, and with 8 am start and 10 min drive from the hotel I had a full night sleep. We showed up 6:45 am, got nearly a first parking spot, and waited. At the last minute I decided against the hat and extra pair of sleeves, and went with long sleeves shirt, short sleeves shirt over it, a windbreaker, and half-tights. While it was frigid cold those 5 minutes before the "gun" went off, I could have done with less. Good lesson. We chatted briefly with Annie, Noah and Elliot, and started on the long uphill into the race course at Hartman Rock Park.


I didn't take my phone, so there will be no photos (and I don't believe race had any photographers on the course). Nor would I need it - there was nothing to look at. I mean, far away you could see snow-capped peaks, but around, it was just dirt, brown naked hills, and a whole lotsa nothing. As far as scenery goes (I know I am spoiled) this was the least exciting course, although maybe that wasn't a bad thing: I resolved to stare under my feet all the time, and had no determents for that.

I had my goals, and they were simple: number 1 - NO falling or cramping! That's all I truly wanted, to finish my last race in one peace, no injuries, no negative stuff. Number 2 was to break 7 hrs. Number 3 - my "pace chart" predicted 6:45 and it'd be nice to land 15th female, give or take, to be in top third of 46 female entrants. With that, I was firmly planning on staying within myself  and go easy.
Sage Burner sends 50k and 28k runners together. I was letting all the hurrying up folks go as I power-hiked that first long climb. The race course doesn't have insane hills, it just rolls undulating the whole time on dirt bike paths/single track, up and down, seemingly inviting everyone to run it. It is one big loop, some single track is pretty smooth, but a lot of it is technical and rocky, and we even had plenty of places to navigate huge granite rocks to run on top of those either up or down. Other than that, pretty mellow run with about 4,500 feet of gain per that loop, all going between 8,000 and 8,600 feet altitude. There are 2 great things about Mad Moose events: the AS's are always close enough one never have to worry about dehydrating and can run on 1 bottle if so choses, and the course marking/flagging is impeccable. I never questioned myself if I am still on the course or considered which turn to take. It was all clear, and the confidence markers provide a relief when I do space out (happens a lot).

With that being said, I really don't have much. For the first 3+ miles or so we were all locked up in a single file on a technical single track going up and down. I could out-hike the up sections when folks walked it, and out-run down sections as those around me seem timid, but they also jogged little rollers where I was not in a hurry, so I resolved to simply be. I got to the first AS at mile 5 on time, passed on the aid (I carried 2 bottles), worked next 4.6 miles as easy as miles before, still on pace chart. Passed aid there as well. Shortly after 28k and 50k split, I followed the signs, used a quick bathroom break behind a rock (not an easy task when it's bare around and I wear pants instead of shorts, but I got lucky), and kept doing my thing. Around mile 12 3 guys jogged behind me, loudly discussing how it'd be great that they would pass runners and nobody passed them until the finish. Cocky, dudes! They got around me, but literally a quarter mile later the downhill started, and I re-passed them. The 3rd AS approached, I filled one of my bottles fast, and took off on the lollypop loop. Slowly but surely I pulled away from those 3 guys, and a couple of girls who were right behind. And that, my friends, how an ultra is run. One should never over-estimate own ability until way after half-way point. At 15.3 mile (AS #4, that I didn't stop at) I was exactly in 3:15, per prediction chart. I didn't do ANYTHING different from there on. I did my thing: power-hiked the hills, ran downs. Nobody passed ME from here on. Surprisingly, I was able to run lots of small rollers, flats, and even occasional incline. I completely trusted my body. If it wanted to run, I let it run. If it wanted to walk, I let it walk. I had this amazing connection that I was going with, never breathing hard, yet from time to time coming on one human or another. I by-passed AS #4 and 5 (Justin manned this one), refilled at #6 one bottle, passed 3 (or was it more?) runners on yet another loop, refilled one last time, and locked in gait behind 2 young gals for the last 4.5 miles. I truly don't have much more to describe. I was still, at mile 27, able to jog, and still had no plans to push. There was more downhill from here to the finish, with still some short ups for variety. I was a happy camper and determined to stay this way, and by now, way ahead of my predictions, too. I wasn't interested to chase those girls, but kept them in sight without forcing it. Somehow, I did pass one of them, and closed on another, but she sensed it, and put an effort to keep her distance. By then, trail became quite technical, again, and I had no interest falling in the last miles. Together, we pulled on yet another gal. The two of them really took off and duked it out all the way to the finish (some 9 seconds apart, a minute and half ahead of me), while I simply jogged all the way to cross the line in 6:25:59, with a smile. It turned out I ran a negative split (see above, 15.3M in 3:15). The best thing? I was 10th female (having worn a bib 10 assigned to me by Ultrasignup), and with 33 female finishers, I was in top third, plus I was 26th overall (71 finishers, 96 starters), AND THE OLDEST in the first over half the field (male or female, only a couple 40+ yo dudes ahead). Take that, kids! 
That's about all I can say about the end of my racing season. Out of 8 races I had participated in 2021 (after 8 years of not racing), Sage Burner 50k was one of 3 best (which also included Cheyenne 50k in April, and Mace 100 in June). It went like a textbook, even though I didn't race - I didn't push myself. Seems this style gives me an opportunity to allow my body to do its thing. It's a really great feeling to be trusting myself. I never cramped, never tripped, didn't fall. I never hit a wall or had a low point. The energy was flowing very evenly the whole time. I had 3 bottles of 300ml and 2 bottles of 500ml total, 12 gels (alternating those with salt, with caffeine, and just plain, taking on spot every 30 min), 3 salt tabs, I took 3 Advil prior race for my tailbone bruise, and 3 mid-race, just in case, for the same reason. I finished without a limp, or, as Larry put it, looking fresh as a daisy, not haggard. I was able to change clothes without wincing, I wasn't tired or sore - even after 3 hrs drive home, I got out of the car and didn't feel locked in in any single muscle. Go figure.

While I did my "jog in a park", Larry found a great coffee shop for breakfast (in which we stopped after the race as well), fished a bit, and spent countless hours volunteering at the finish line with Annie and Denise (RD), having awesome conversations and being part of the community. It was the best of times for both of us. I am so thankful he came with me for my closing race of 2021.

Now - I am taking a month completely easy. This 50k gave me a confidence boost that I still can control some of the things and do "it" right, after a cramp-fest at Staunton marathon and Sawatch 50k (not to mention the nasty fall). It was a perfect ending. At 52, the experience is all I have to offer to this sport. My longevity goes on. Fingers crossed, I will have a few more seasons in me. I know I will try.

And the October is not over yet:)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So happy you are back to writing!

Lily said...

Congratulations on an awesome running season and being 10th female in this last race!