If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you are lucky enough.

When something bad happens, you have three choices: let it define you, let it destroy you, or let it strengthen you.

Sunday, October 31, 2021

October wrap: friends and sunrises.

I survived October! The month I was anxious about, as it suddenly looked like every damn weekend had huge plans - but fear not, most of it (sans the cracked tailbone on my birthday) went flawless, and it was fun, and I am definitely ready to chill in November.

The weekend after the "perfect 50k" in Gunnison, I flew to SLC and had an absolutely awesome time with my (former) Oregon wonderful friend Ronda. She escaped the craziness and the rain, although what do you know, two former Oregonian made for some seriously rainy/drizzly/cloudy/foggy weather in Park City! For a couple of early mornings we made it to the mountains, hiking and breathing the surrounding views. As for the rest of the time - there was a LOT of talking, connecting, sharing, laughing, and playing with pups. With no interference from anyone, just the two of us, the conversations ran deep and long, and it made me so happy to find so much ground in common, so much soul, so much fun. Hopefully, now that it a mere 9 hrs drive, we shall make more visits.



I flew back by Sunday midnight, and it was Fall here full blast. The leaves quickly went from turning all shades of yellow to falling down with the first wind that blew. A very short season here, and we're dipping into 30F at night. 

After a week of work, Larry jumped into a car and drove to his home-state of Oklahoma, to visit his family. I, of course, jumped into a car and decided to bag one more 14-er before the real winter comes. The day was predicted absolutely gorgeously sunny and windless, even if with 18F at the start before sunrise (and at the top). Mt. Massive called my name, and I answered. The snow on the trail began within a mile, and only because I've been on that stretch of Colorado Trail, did I make my way forward. GPX tracks on my phone helped, as I occasionally had to bushwhack through the trees - though as a benefit, I stumbled upon a rabbit wearing his winter white coat!


Once above the tree line, the navigation got easier - while not all was snow covered, the drifts were there, yet if one looks up, there's this huge (Massive) mountain ahead, and I just kept on going. In the last mile or so, the post-holing had gotten a bit ridiculous. Thank God for all my winter ascends of Pikes Peak, it didn't deter me one bit. From time to time I crawled on my knees and hands, because it gave me a better and wider surface, so I wouldn't punch through up to my crotch. Alas, at some point, within last half a mile, it became pretty much a ridge walk, rocky a bit, but nothing I haven't seen before.




Well, I made it to the top! My 14-er number 16, and the last one for the year (as far as new ascends go). It was calm, but oh, so cold. The views were majestic, especially behind!


On my way off the top, within that half a mile on the ridge, the trail splits, and one can take a SouthWest ridge down (I cam up East ridge), to make it a loop. Why did I decide to do that, is a big question. I could have glissaded down where I came from, cutting at least a mile, and then followed my footsteps back to the car. The SouthWest side didn't have much snow near the top, but what it had was melted wet dirt and loose rock, where I quickly lost the trail. I pretty much pointed my feet down towards the tree line, in a general direction, hoping to come across the trail at some point. I did...but it didn't get easier. Boulders, wet stuff continued, and once inside the tree line - back to the snow!



The views on this side, though, were far more superior. The East side faced the valley, this one had all the Sawatch ridge with its 14-ers and 13-ers capped by snow, and it was magnificent! Made me forget about the rock slog...well, almost. The trail actually almost leveled inside the tree line, and despite the snow cover, I shuffled a little faster.
Once at the trailhead, I connected to the Halfmoon dirt road, and it relentlessly lasted for another 2.5 miles, going up and down! I tried to run as much as I could, even as I ran out of water and couldn't eat snacks dry. Finally, the parking lot came into view - and my car was still the one and only there. 13.5 miles for the loop - and a great day in the mountains!


Saturday and Sunday I clicked off a couple more Incline climbs on my way to 52, and that had completed the month of October. Next month, the less overwhelming schedule is ahead. Or so I hope:)

No comments: