If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you are lucky enough.

When something bad happens, you have three choices: let it define you, let it destroy you, or let it strengthen you.

Tuesday, July 09, 2019

First month as a Colorado resident.

One would think with all the time on my hands, and so much wonderful things happening around, I'd blog some. In reality, not only this thought barely crossed my mind a couple of times, I haven't even journaled. And it's not that I wasn't in high emotions, mostly positive and on high end, of course, but enough not-so-awesome to warrant contemplation at least on the pages of my diary. Nope, didn't happen. Lets pretend to catch up on the past five and half weeks now...

The mountains are amazing, breathtaking, awesome, and any explicit adjective you English native speaking can come up with. They are extremely close to home - a mere 15 min drive, which is a local drive, too. Hope and a stretch. I got into a pattern of doing Incline Loop every Wednesday morning, Section 16 Loop Friday morning, and something in tune of 10-15 miles with Larry on the weekend. Incline kicks butt every time (that is 0.88 miles with 2,000 feet of climb, mind you, on steps that some so high I have to use hands). The loop includes approach (1.3 M), The Stairs, and Barr trail down with same road section add-on as at the beginning. To my delight, I keep chewing minutes off the Incline Climb, even if it never gets any easier. Breathing is so labored, the eyes are popping, but the legs are holding on much better. So there's that. Downhill is also feeling smoother and more natural, and since I used to be a very good downhiller, it pleases me. Improvements in increments, small and larger. We're slowly getting back into trail running. (Below is a very small collecton of photos, not to overwhelm).








The rest of the week is taken by road runs in the morning, and yoga classes. I signed up for an introductory month (low cost) at the Power Yoga studio, and taking full advantage of unlimited classes and my non-working status.

Which is whole another deal. While I was looking forward to, finally, for the first time in a decade, since moving to Austin (and sitting home for the first 3 months looking for jobs), having legitimate time to myself, it was obvious I am not good at doing nothing. A week was fine, two - ok, then I got edgy. Not to mention, after the first 2 weeks, the delay was not due to any limitations on my part. I got a job offer, literally, on the first day of my arrival to CO. It's the bureaucracy of license transfer here that was so crazy. Not only the amount of paperwork to submit - the process hit a dead end when it appeared TX eliminated some records, and CO was not going anywhere unless those are presented. The anxiety was hitting big! Eventually, there was a human communication one fine day, more paperwork I dug out, and by July 3rd, full 4 weeks after submission, my licensing was granted. This week is my first week back to work! The job is a chiropractor office, part-time, just what I wanted. It'll take time to build clientele, and I am ok with that. I simply hated the uncertainty I could not control.

We did some drives to see things that were recommended to us, like Bishop Castle, and it was awesome.




One Saturday we drove to Denver to visit Larry's little sister. It was nice to have family close-by.


The weather here continues to give me joy, 50's at night, 80's during a day, afternoon thunderstorms bringing the cooling.


We had our first visitor - Larry's son Harrison came to spend a few days in our new home town and house. We all scaled Pike's Peak (I went from "normal" Barr trail side of 12 miles route, they went from opposite, shorter, side, we all met at the top, and came down together on their 7 mile route). The boys went to Denver to see professional baseball game, and we did some touristy stuff as well.




The next-street (quite literally) gold course has become another attraction for our time, Larry hitting some gold balls, and me knitting.


Speaking of knitting, I haven't done as much as I thought I would, with the time on my hands, but I did read a lot, frequenting library - something over a dozen of books! This was a great return to what I loved since I was a child.

Other than that, the house is absolutely lovely. We can't stop talking how lucky we feel to have "snatched" it last October, with the market going up in huge steps, and the offerings in the desired locations being extremely thin to say the least. It was a miracle. Now we just need to bring it up to our standards. This 90 years old 830 sq ft (plus small basement) bungalow is getting kitchen/bathroom/back entry re-haul starting end of July. So it'll be 2 months of living off scraps and microwave food...well worth though.

I guess I caught up with the happenings, however briefly. At least I can check this one off my list:)



No comments: