If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you are lucky enough.

When something bad happens, you have three choices: let it define you, let it destroy you, or let it strengthen you.

Wednesday, December 04, 2013

All Pro Science product review - Protein shakes and more.

At the end of September I got an email for a product review. I am never certain how some companies find their reviewers - I understand trail running shoes, but Protein powder? It turns out, this company also has recovery stuff, and I think the Google lead them to me after the Paleo discussion back in Spring, and my posts on recovery drinks and similar stuff.

But lets get to it, shall we? The catch-up promo as follows:

All Pro Science (www.allproscience.com) is an all-natural supplement company with more than 15,000 regular customers and 150 top professional athletes who rely on our products to keep them the absolutely leanest and best at their game. Found in Whole Foods Market and other stores and gyms globally, we are the first to offer a gluten-free and soy-free Veggie Protein that is peas, brown rice, and hemp based, 100% Grass Fed Whey and other nutrition supplements. Our products taste amazingly delicious, with all-natural re-created flavors such as Cinnamon Roll and Mocha Latte!

I received the package that contained a big jar of Protein powder (all grass-fed whey) and a box of individual packages of Recovery powder shortly thereafter, and it took me a while to figure out how protein from whey can be grass-fed. Well, yeah, duh!



Anyway, I normally use protein powders for a quick breakfast, as I run (or go to the gym), shower - and off to work in a matter of minutes (I don't even ever dry my hair, no time for that, just let it down and hope that it's dry by the time I get to work. Brushing? Forget about it!). I tried a variety of protein shakes, and as I stepped into more or less Paleo life style (full disclosure - I really hate calling my eating habits any kind of names, including Paleo, as I don't subscribe to the idea fully, however, because I eliminated same products as Paleo suggests due to my Irritable Bowl Syndrome, it does resembles Paleo, I guess, with some exceptions and not as "all you can eat meat and fat" adhesion), it was getting not so easy to find a protein powder that I could use. Not only that, I seem to react to additives that keep powders, well, powders (like, even Egg White powder has something that gives me bloating and other symptoms) - and I had given away pretty much every jar so far I had purchased (I don't like to waste product, and have friends who could use it). I was a tad hesitant, but hey, got nothing to loose, right?

What do you think? A day goes by, another, a week...still no problems! I use a full scoop as suggested, mix it in my Vitamix with some berries and some other stuff I got in the fridge (I am not very sophisticated,whatever I had at the time goes, kale, spinach, carrot, pear, beets...always some fruit though, for the sweetness), and I would take it with me on the bus for "breakfast on the go".

So, my personal reflection on the powder is positive in terms of it not giving the negative effects (if it makes sense). Does it fill me up? I am a person who needs to chew, so I am hungry an hour later no matter what's inside the shake. So, take it with a grain of salt. I am also not so involved as to cook and bake with protein powder, so I will direct you to other people's reviews who actually used recipes using that protein powder.

Brownies!

Waffles!

I kind of feel guilty somewhat for not trying those recipes, and may be my friend Iva at PaleoFlip, who is about to open a Paleo restaurant (donations welcome!) and has self-published a Paleo recipe book, will try some. Oh, well. I never claimed to be The Cook, even if I do cook daily.

Now, what's inside? From the website:

FACT SHEET: 
* 23g of Protein per Serving 
* Vitamin and Mineral Fortified 
* Good Source of Calcium* and Amino Acids* 
* Only 3g of Naturally Occuring Sugar 
* No Artificial Flavors, Sweeteners, or Fillers * Made from Grass Fed Whey Concentrate
* Hormone-Free Dairy (BGH-Free)



The variety I got tasted really good - even Larry approved - and mixed well. The company has many more different flavors, as well as All Veggie type for those who prefer not to deal with Animal Products.

APS doesn't only focus on Protein Powders, they have Pre-workout and Post-workout formula (see website I didn't get those), Complete Immune formula, Supplements, and Recovery powder - that one I did get.


However, since by the time I got this package I was tapering, then slowly getting into overtraining syndrom - with no training involved anymore as I try to recover - I only used 3 packets of it (two after two of my 20M long trail runs back in October and one after my 51M walk at Ozark 100) - and Larry tried 2 more after his quality runs. All I can say at this point on the recovery drink as it didn't cause any problems and worked as well as other recovery drinks I had - however, I am in the camp "any recovery drink is good as long as they have carbs and protein that are easily digestible and you consume them within 30 min window after a workout".

See my previous post on comparing recovery supplemental powders here. (As Pam Smith said in her  interview post-Western States 100 win, mix Gatorade and grocery-store brand Whey protein, if that's all you got, just do something).

That said, I will conclude my review with:

- good quality
- good taste
- does the job promised
- not a holly grail that will save you from lack of training or bad planning:)

If you're interested to try, you can use coupon RMTL40 for 40% discount, and since prices on all that new stuff are pretty crazy, discounts are the only way I ever try - or, in general, buy - any product besides produce and meat.


1 comment:

Carilyn said...

I use protein powder several times a week, but I'm like you, Olga, I need to chew. I try to drink a smoothie after a run if I know I won't have time to eat for awhile, so a good protein powder is essential. Glad this one seems to be working for you.