If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you are lucky enough.

When something bad happens, you have three choices: let it define you, let it destroy you, or let it strengthen you.

Monday, July 11, 2011

San Juans

I don't have enough words to describe 10 days Larry and I lived through in San Juans...and I don't think I need to. Although pictures don't do the justice to this magnificent place, they are still better than words.


This is the idea of a vacation many would agree is The Best. Having not gotten into Hardrock 100, we still didn't want to miss on being where the heart belongs to - the place, the race, the people. So, we spent a week hiking many a trails out of Silverton area (those that are NOT part of the race, to explore, to see, to love). The weather on day 3 (July 3rd) turned to the "interesting" with monsoon season moving in much earlier this year. The thunderstorms and lightening were chasing everyone down soon after noon for the rest of the day. This trend continued for the race weekend as well, even worse, following the runners as they made their way on the course. There was no relief, and many were caught at the top of the peaks, above 13,000 feet, soaked wet and in danger of been struck by lightening. Couple that with late snow this year and wet (more than usual) course conditions, the Hardrock claimed runners. Out of 140 starters 80 finished. They are my heroes...

We swept (picked up marking) from start to Maggies (mile 15~), and next day dismounted a new section that wasn't used. The thoughts went between "I am glad I am not in this year" to "I NEED to be here, and I WANT to be tested". It is not you against mountains, and not even you against the clock. It is you - and you. Some days you win. Some days you take a step back. This is life.
There is no better place to figure it out.

To all who was there - my heartfelt hugs.

I miss this place already.
Is it July 2012 yet?
 
PHOTOS

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really want to go to the San Juans. Hopefully next year to pace someone. I had the opportunity this year but was unable to go. Boo.
-- Danni

Ronda said...

Loved all the photos! Memories :) Thanks for sharing and looks like you guys had an awesome trip.