If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you are lucky enough.

When something bad happens, you have three choices: let it define you, let it destroy you, or let it strengthen you.

Monday, October 04, 2010

And so it goes...

It's been rather hectic last 3 weeks. Life in general threw down a few things at once (don't they say those come in three's?), and it affected emotions and time management. Fitting runs in wasn't a priority, but it happened nevertheless, and with 3 weeks of 60 miles and last week hitting 70 I am concluding this first "almost training" cycle of the season. Why almost? There was no speed work, no hill workouts, but I did get done a handful of tempo runs, and 3 long runs progressing from 20 to 25 to 30 miles respectfully - and all those went far better than expected. It's been getting cooler lately, and surprisingly early for TX so. Past week we woke up to 60F and only reached mid-80's during a day, which felt downright cold for my heat-adapted body (as much as I despised heat). Funny how it is. Back in OR I would consider these temps a heat wave and heat training:)) Heck, I even managed to catch a cold, with which I woke up today! Thankfully, I am entering a taper. Yes, a full 2 weeks taper. Last week was rather strenuous, especially the tail end of it, with a tempo (and 2 min PB on a particular route) on Thursday, a heavy weight room hour Friday morning, another tempo at 4pm (with another 4 min PB on that another route) and Bikram to add same day (I missed Bikram those 2 weeks, the only workout I had to forgo during time constrain). On Saturday I woke up at 4am sore like don't remember when, and had 30 miles at Bastrop planned. I managed to fall on the very first downhill, the only rockiest spot on this park's trail, and banged up my knees, but was mostly surprised than hurt (it helped that in the dark I couldn't see the damage). First 2 loops went rather well and in time I promised myself, but by the next I felt like a train wreck - and it only got worse. How I held the time I don't know, and the last loop was simply a miracle, but I did, with a couple of thoughts punctuating my brain to keep me going - one was that it is the last 30 mile training run till December (with other races serving the purpose), and that I, indeed, tend to train much harder than race. I was thinking why that is. What I think is that when I train - it is for me only, and I am the only one to judge. It is impossible to lie to oneself, to impress oneself, to complain...you get the idea. Once the race comes, there are expectations, other people's predictions, and such, and while it all done in good faith, it is daunting, and raises rebel, or a freight, or some other feelings besides just doing hard work. Anyhow, I was done with my run, and, crippled, drove back home, showered and jumped in a car for a family adventure to San Antonio for the rest of the day. It was fun, and a lot of enjoyment - surely on my part. Sunday I did the usual social gathering - ran an hour to meet the local group for a run, and as always, there was a bunch of great folks, with awesome conversations flowing and a little race-like repeats between stops to wait up for all and regroup. We pick on each other, talk smack and make wages, and sometimes give advice and share wisdom. I am glad I started joining this group when tried to slowly come back to running after a burn out, and now it fits my schedule rather well - I do a harder run before I meet with them, then run fartlek and socialize simultaneously. We are hoping to head into a much better time stretch beginning this week (although I have a presentation at work on Thursday that is stressful) and finish it with a bang - I am turning 41 on Saturday! Woohoo! I guess:))


13 comments:

Steve Ansell said...

Olga, life's always throwing stuff at us, that's what keeps it interesting, right?

Saw Larry at Bear 100, bummer about his race, but I think he really just missed you ;-).

Happy Birthday (to us) on Saturday. I'll say goodbye to 41 while you say hello.

Danni said...

Those pictures are hilarious. Lookin' great!

sea legs girl said...

I remember Bastrop! A cool little town we might have never seen had it not been for you. Is there nice running around there? I sure hope so for 30 miles! Nothing better than feeling crippled after pushing to the extreme - nice work!

Ronda said...

Happy almost birthday! Nice mileage girl. Glad it's cooling down. We have been frozen all summer and now it's fall like weather.

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday! They just keep coming faster now, don't they? A 30 mile training run by yourself is awesome. I've been running all by myself lately and I'm really looking forward to my 50k training race next week simply for the company. Glad you found a fun group to join.

JeffO said...

I think I was only 7 when I visited the Alamo.
Glad you're cooling off.

RunSueRun said...

Olga, I LOVE the photo of the Alamo. It reminded me of one of my favorite movies, "Pee Wee's Big Adventure." Heehee! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the commment girl. I know its ben awhile. I would hardly call it dissappearing though. I've just been too damn busy to write as much as I used too. Unfortunately I won't be able to say hi to your husband. I decided to bail on the OT100 this year. Gonna end the year with a short one. The Dogwood Canyon 50km. Just can't get my head wrapped around a hundred miler right now. I see looking at your schedule though that you plan to do the Freestate 100km next year. Probably won't run that either but will be there to volunteer slash pace anyone if needed. Take care and Goodluck at Palo Duro 50. That is one race that's on my bucket list.

Scott McMurtrey said...

I miss Texas. I'm hoping to fit Rocky Raccoon into my early season schedule again.

Julie B said...

A Happy Birthday on tap for a dear woman at 41 years young! Enjoy :)

Everyday Tips said...

Happy Birthday, and oh my gosh, I am tired just reading your post! :)

Have a great one!

vibram said...

Good post, very interesting. More power to you! God Bless! happy running :)

Rick Gaston said...

I wrote you a note about this blogpost, then I went to hawaii, started stuffing my face with all the local foods that I missed and I forgot about everything. I blacked out and when I woke up I was 3 pounds heavier! Now what was it that I said...hmm..oh right, congrats on turning 41. I'm glad it was you first and not me, please let me know how that goes:) I'm scared of turning 40 because that age group here is fast. Damn all the fast 40+ year old runners. Second I am jealous of all your cross training. I am really making an effort to do that now. The week before Hawaii was the gym, the week in Hawaii was the beach, snorkeling and beer - I'm counting that, and now that I'm back it will be the gym again and maybe the re-introduction of the bike in the spring. Notice there's no yoga involved. Thirdly good luck on your race tomorrow. At least I made it back to wish you good luck. Looks like I won't see you at all for the rest of the year but most likely next year. Whether or not I run Quicksilver I will come out and say hello.