If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you are lucky enough.

When something bad happens, you have three choices: let it define you, let it destroy you, or let it strengthen you.

Monday, January 26, 2009

Picture-perfect Sunday run.

I woke up to the snow on my door steps...it was amazing. I had no idea it would snow today, I planned to finish my week with a Gorge run after Saturday's solo 3:45 exploration in Tryon park and around...but I woke up to the snow on the ground, and decided to head out to Forest Park...
It was still dark at 6:30am, and I was still sick, fighting a chest cold for the last 3 days. It was actually getting worse, that cold - or better, depending how you look at it. I was producing wet cough, it was soothing for my chest pain. But I wouldn't want to miss this morning for a life of me...

I looked up at the trail - no steps...amazing, not a single step to disturb the fresh and virgin snow. Breathtaking. I am first. I am completely totally first here, on this snow, on this day, on this trail...just I and the soft snow around...

I never turned my headlamp on. The snow reflected the moonlight, and it was absolutely magnificent. It was quiet, and the snowflakes kept falling off the sky, touching my face, melting on my lips. I inhaled them when I could - it's like they wanted to share something very personal with me...only me.

I didn't turn the music for the first hour either. Everywhere I looked was white, and I was the one breaking the stillness. I almost felt guilty - yet at the same time almost pride...for being first today. Just the trail, the snow and I...

Somewhere along the way, at another trailhead entrance, a second pair of footsteps began ahead of me, at times joined by prints of a small animal, weaving in and out of human's footprints. I saw the guy running back, I never saw a dog with him...I still wonder where those steps come from...

I met the Girls out there, right when there were many more footsteps joining, and the trail's snow lost its virginity. I wasn't alone anymore. I had my music going. I had my thoughts wandering. I had familiar faces on the trail - all enjoying the day we were blessed with...

And as I made my way home, nothing was more of a reward than a colorful pan with freshly-prepared food:)

19 comments:

TonyP said...

Feel better Olga !

Carilyn said...

Beautiful post!

LK said...

I can't wait until you write a book! That was so well written from the heart. Get well, soon...

Ronda said...

I hope you get better soon if you already aren't! Whatever you are eating looks very good. What is it?

Sounds like a lovely morning breaking track.

Jessica DeLine said...

those are some great fresh snow pics! There's nothing like a fresh untouched coating of snow even if it's cold outside :)

Dave said...

As proud as I am to be a Texan...I sometimes really envy you northwesterners. What great pics, what a great run...make sure to take care of yourself.

Backofpack said...

Wow, what a fun morning! And I don't know what that is you cooked up, but it looks delicious. Thanks for the encouraging comment too, Olga. I think my thinking about speed is more along the lines of wishful thinking, because in reality, I'm quite happy with my running.

Journey to a Centum said...

Dang - now I'm hungry after looking at that last picture!

Looks like a great wintry run. Shake that chest cold and feel better soon!

Drs. Cynthia and David said...

Thanks for sharing Olga. Lovely snow and sentiments. You and Larry both have such deep feeling poetic blogs. Really beatiful to read. Your stories sometimes bring tears to my eyes.

I hope you feel better soon.

Cynthia

CoyoteGirl said...

Nice! The snow looks so pretty. Take care of yourself and get better.

Sarah said...

Is that a salad or a stir fry? It looks really yummy!

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

What a great morning run ...now shake that cold missy.

Unknown said...

Very nice, Olga! I love the freshly fallen snow as well.

Danni said...

Mind that chest cold! Take care of yourself! Gorgeous pics!!!

Hone said...

I wish I were out there. Those days are the best.

Bret said...

Jealous...thats what I am...Jealous. Virgin snow at dawn on a famous trail. You did it so right too...no tunes...no lights...just that soft dead sound of new snow in the trees. Nice post.

Stuart said...

Wow what a treat to run in the virgin snow!

Rick Gaston said...

Hope the run cleared up the lungs a bit and your food looks healthier than mine. I've lost half a pound in 3 weeks:) I complain about the cold but I do wish we got to run in the snow once in awhile. Not all the time though. Hey take care of that chest stuff and thanks for checking in the other day. Good to catch up a little bit.

JeffO said...

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin about! I love hiking, climbing, mtn biking, running in quiet snowfall all alone in the desolate wilderness!

That salad looks SO good!