If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you are lucky enough.

When something bad happens, you have three choices: let it define you, let it destroy you, or let it strengthen you.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

A New Race.

I never ran a timed event. I haven't run loops since my NYC times. And I definitely never ran night races. A nice combo to try, don't you think? Cool, indeed:)

I am heading out Saturday morning, flying to San Francisco, driving to Cool, checking in and running all nighter from 7 pm to 7 am. Then I am driving back, taking a shower at Rick's place, who is running Headlands 100M and should be done by my arrival, having coffee with friends and flying back. Couldn't make it simpler.

The loop is some single-track with fire roads and asphalt included, a part of Rio del Lago 100M course at the Cool firestation, I had done a big part of it. There are two climbs per loop: one is steep but short, and another is shallow and longer, accounting in 900 feet gain each time.

My "pie in a sky" goal is to make 6 loops (54M), my "should be able to" goal is 5 loops (45 M) and my "gotta do anyhow" goal is to move for the whole 12 hrs. The loop heading out is closing at 5 am, what means if I am to go for the "pie", I better finish 45 miles in 10 hrs. Sounds duable, but I keep thinking of myself "back in times of been in shape" ( serioulsy, adjusting prediction times is a pain in a butt these days, I just can't seem to find that error), not to mention night running added. That said, still, 2 hrs per 9M loop...I shall see. I've been drinking HEED lately on my long runs to get used to it as this is a served drink on the course, so I have less to carry. I got quite a few gels left over from PCT 50-50 race, putting them to good use. Other than that, soup is promised by Helen and Norm Klein at 5.5M AS in the middle of the loop. I like it simple, although I was going to try solid foods as Scott Jurek and Krissy Moehl recommend. Never did before, why not give it a shot?

After this weekend I am going underground with big runs:)

I pulled something on the middle of my back on Monday to the point I left work early today. Couldn't sit, turn or even breathe. Vit I is doing its trick though, so I hope it won't let me down. As Scott says in his Hardrock recap - there is only that much you can dwell on negative, now forget about it and do what you can. At least the soul of the race is counted by hours, not by miles:)

Expanding horizon, huh?

Just for fun - a baby bear (with mama and brother around) from my friend in Upstate NY in his backyard.

23 comments:

meredith said...

Olga,

I will be at Headlands this weekend doing the 50-miler and then crewing for friends that are running it. Not sure where Rick lives, but if our schedules might overlap would love to say hi in person!! Email me off of blog world..if that might work, meredithbn@yahoo.com

If not, enjoy the meteorite shower and have a blast!
mer

Jamie Anderson said...

Quite the whirlwind trip you have planned there! Sounds like a lot of fun. Enjoy it and best wishes.

-Jamie

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Expand those horizons !! Enjoy some solid foods, I like that sky pie you were talking about - haha

Best Wishes Olga & be Safe!!!

and Rick u better be back on time, don't make her wait!

Wes said...

Just like that, you decided to pull an all nighter? LOL. You are full of surprises Olga! Hope your back feels better. Have fun!!!

Unknown said...

Have fun at Cool!

Sarah said...

And when do you sleep? I guess on the plane home. After doing Lake Youngs I decided I like loops. I think you'll have a great time!

You're right, just keep thinking positively. You can do it! : )

Backofpack said...

Testing those boundaries and trying something new - and fun - is always a good idea. Good luck with the food/drink experiments - they can be fun too. Have a great trip and hope for the pie!

Lisa B said...

Hey, sounds like tons of fun, Olga! Something I would do fer sure. :)

Enjoy, run happy, sleep when you can.

I called you tonight but it's too late... I'll catch you tomorrow hopefully.

Love ya!

Jack said...

Sounds like loads of fun, enjoy it and come home safe!

Thomas said...

Honestly, that sounds like a fun race. One day, when I'm finished with marathons, I'll do something like that, promised.

~concrete angel~ said...

Best of luck Olga! Go have some fun. I had considered doing that race at one time, but flights are so expensive!

Anyway, your friend is right that there is only so much one can do about the negative. My running has been not great lately, but at least I'm out there (early b/c of heat) and doing my best. In my opinion at least, it takes more guts to train/race when things aren't right than when they are...even though people tend to think you're "tougher" when you're on the winning side! In other words...keep focusing on what you CAN do!! Go get 'em!!!

Sarah Elaine said...

Those sound like super goals.

By the way, I really liked that e.e. cummings quote you left on Craig's page. I've added it to my personal list of favorite quotes.

Jean Pommier said...

Perfect way to spend half a day, the whole night that is, on the trails, Olga! And don't spend too much time staring at the sky, it should be amazing. Wish you to catch some lucky shooting stars though, to keep you company.
And go for your Cool "pie in the sky" goal, go!

Jean.

Ronda said...

Good luck Olga....take care of your back and have fun.

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a great 12 hours and enjoy the weekend.

Anonymous said...

Olga,

Good luck! Push for 6 laps! I know you can do it!

Meghan
www.running-blogs.com/meghan

DawnB said...

Good luck with the race this weekend!! New Race!! have fun!!

Julie B said...

I love timed runs, my first ultra was a 12 hour a FANS, it was a blast! You'll enjoy this, I know it. Have a ton of fun, Olga :) I hope that back is better soon. Enjoy the HEED, less to carry and mix up at the races is one of the reasons I tried it in the first place. I really do like it now.

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

LOLOL Ahhhh that's a great picture of that Baby Bear, chillin' in the water canoe!!

Donald said...

What happened to "forbidden to exercise for another week?" Although I shouldn't be surprised with you.

Run well, heal well.

Mark Tanaka (Ultrailnakaman) said...

You're probably asleep, Olga, but good luck and have fun!

It's funny, I woke up with very stiff shoulders and neck 3 days ago, and I'm still struggling to end the spasming and pain. It's been taking minutes just to get up or turn over in bed. (Things improve as the day goes though.) We must have some sort of pain connection....

Everyone doing either race this weekend, have a great time. I'm jealous!

Gretchen said...

Take care of that back girl, I'll be seeing you in just a couple hours. I'm excited because my only goals for this race are: go easy, have fun, don't get injured. Hopefully we will have a bit of time to run together, who knows, maybe as you lap me. ;)This is all new for me too, so it's an adventure!

Dane said...

Your race is close to getting underway and I wish you the best of luck and health throughout. Eagerly anticipate the recap.