If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you are lucky enough.

When something bad happens, you have three choices: let it define you, let it destroy you, or let it strengthen you.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Life is beautiful.

I really don't like the sadness and drama, so I figured I'd push the previous post into an archive.

On Saturday Stephen had a game they won 5:2. This weekend he'll have 5 games! No time to breathe.

He is in white t-shirt.

On Sunday we went for a bike ride to Forest Park, on Leaf Ericson. I am not a big fan of biking, but Stephen was even slower, so it all worked out. After 10 miles we later walked on Wildwood trail for an hour or so, just hanging out.



We talked to Alex again this morning, he sounded much better. So did we. You know, we have a saying in Russia: "morning is wiser than night", and also "at night all cats are black". I am sure there is something in English with a meaning of the general idea that any not-so-good thing that happens is blown out of proportion when it's dark. I guess it's human nature, circadian rhythms or something. We got our contract with boarding school faxed to us, and it's a 12 months thing, after which it's a month-to-month basis. It's a relief, we can take it from here. Next Focus seminar is scheduled for December. You know, I actually understand Alex. It's a very American thing to try and dig that "inner child" out. Russian men have a gene, as well as they sucked it with mama's milk, that men don't cry, don't complain and don't ask for help. No sweet talking. Do it, that's it. Or don't do it, but alas, no discussing. Alex is a reall Russian man. He had an appendectomy when he was 5, and they started cutting him open before he went to sleep - he didn't even blink. I love my son so much, I just wish he pushed through this program and got home. It's not about an addiction anymore, it's about self-esteem and peer pressure. That will take awhile, may be a lifetime. I know I still have this problem, and no hypnosis, seminars, psychologists or psychic powers so far had done me any good. I just live with it every day and make my choices. I do want the best for my kids, and since I live here, in US, and they are going to stay here, we need to play by the rules.

I often joke I can't go home because toilet paper is not as soft there as it is here:)

C'mon, smile. I am. I am a fighter, and I am not giving up on anything, neither my kids, my family, nor myself. I am alive and kickin'

p.s. No offense or harrasment is intended...sheesh, I need a disclaimer on my own post! But yes, I don't mean to hurt anyone's feeling, it's just a bit...harder, just a touch, to be a first generation of immigrants and adjust to culture and a new way of thinking. But what true is that nobody is holding a gung to my head to keep me here, so obviously I like it enough. I do have many opportunities I could have not have back home, and I do appreciate it. And how many of those opportunities I use is up to me only, my choice, no blame, no harm.
Whew, friends, peace, bubble gum?
(it was another one of saying in my childhood:))

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Even though you are in the United States I think what makes the United States great is that there are so many varying cultures that come together under a common idea that this is the land of opportunity and that we can all reach our dreams here. This, of course, is debatable, but I think the ideal should be commended nonetheless. Never forget your roots and where you came from.

Nice pics of Stephen and of you at RDL.

Kurt in Boston said...

I like the saying "morning is wiser than night". Been there. Done that. Too many times.

Benjamin Franklin once wrote "...in the dark all cats are grey". Except he was talking about something different ... and quite politically incorrect. (A preference for older women).

Backofpack said...

Olga, the perspective you bring as a first generatiion immigrant is invaluable. And there is no shame nor harm in being homesick for your own culture - I'm sure we'd all experience the same feeling if we moved to Russia. I also think that many American men have the same gene - suck it up and don't talk. It's a guy thing! Universal.

Sarah said...

I like the quotes on your sidebar! And there's another one, "Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right." Not sure who said that one. Alex sounds like a fighter like his mom.

And I smiled about the toilet paper. :)

Wes said...

Real men cry, and they'll beat the shit out of anybody that makes anything out of it :-) Living in America means you have the freedom to be who you are and try to be who you want to be. All dreams are attainable. I love your sense of humor. Rock on, Olga! More of the world is waiting for you.

onepinkfuzzy said...

((hugs)) sounds like you are feeling better (or at least trying to!). keep on putting one foot in front of the other :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Olga. I have found your blog:)Thanks for the link. You are quite an accomplished and inspirational runner!

I too am a first generation emigrant, from Romania. Yes, toliet paper is better here, haha.
There's a part of me that will always need that corner of the world for which I have love and respect. As you said, I have many reasons to like it here too. Among a number of things, the medical treatments available here for a terrible disease, have given my family a second chance.

All my best wishes to you and your family! With patience, faith in the Grace of God and true hope anything can be overcome.

Ryan said...

If only being a parent was as easy as running...I wish you and your family the best!
Great pictures and I like the photo below; it captures a very tranquil and transcendental moment!! Take care!

Anonymous said...

The fact that you see this country and it's culture through different eyes is one of the many reasons I enjoy your blog and our conversations. I hope your Russian heritage is something you always treasure.

Walk the up hills and run the down hills. Life is like that, isn't it?

Sarah Elaine said...

Previet, Olga! (Sorry, no Cyrillic on my keyboard...)

I like how you are tough and loving at the same time. I think that is admirable, no matter where you come from!

Love2Run said...

We're smiling with you Olga, life is beautiful even with the ups and downs. I like your perspective and positive outlook. Keep up the nice writing from the heart as always ;-)

Rick Gaston said...

"at night all cats are black" I'm going to insert this into some future conversation....somewhere.

Ran with Vladimir today for a good part of the race, the Russian (Moscow) ultrarunner I met last weekend. He's kind of crazy too. This prevalent among Russian ultrarunners:)

You know if you do go home I'd be willing to ship some Charmin Tissue your way.