If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you are lucky enough.

When something bad happens, you have three choices: let it define you, let it destroy you, or let it strengthen you.

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Home from Home

I am back, and I am tired, and sleep-deprived, and jet-lagged. It was nice to be there, and even nicer to get back to my boys, my routine. I only visited with my family - my parents and stayed with my sister the whole time. It was slow and filled with lots of talking. I only squeezed 2 runs there - there is a small lake near my sister's building with a path around, flat as a pancake, but better than nothing. Both days my compartment was kicking and screaming like hell, so by third day I decided it's not worth the pain, especially that by then I was going on total of 10 hrs of sleep in a week. It didn't help to get any more snooze time, but I have no regrets for giving my body a chance to rest. It was also a very funny feeling to be a younger member of the family and let everybody take care of me - for 13 years here I don't have this option. We cried a lot too, especially visiting Michael's grave. The unfaireness and rudeness seems to never really get into my brain...Our Mom had a party with all the usual friends, like nothing changed. She looks better than during my last visit. Our Dad is giving in though, and it's hard to see him often near tears or holding his back as he was a big shot in a military for so long...death of his favorite grandson broke him down. I stopped by my school - 20 years, where did time go? It was alien to me, different generation of Russia, not the one I left, so I didn't look for my teachers. The weather was good, in 50s F, what helped the calm mood. Flights were long, not to mention all in all in the last 16 days I had been on 9 planes. I am not sure when I will go back again - I am getting old for such a demanding travel for a few days. Next week I will be trying to recover from time crew up in my system and at the same time ramp up my training...hmm. Today is 5 years anniversary of my running:) and Mother's day too, and Stephen had a cute gift waiting for me. I am glad to be back with him. I am getting too sentimental...

14 comments:

tryathlete said...

Welcome home and Happy Mother's Day!

Hope you recover from all that flying!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are home safely and that you enjoyed the visit with family.Trips home with my family are always bitter sweet. Love the time with them but it never seems to be long enough. Congratulations on five years.

Anonymous said...

happy mother's day!!! happy runiversary! :) glad you got to go home.

Backofpack said...

Olga, it's good to see you back in the comments and on your blog! It probably was for the best that you got some rest from running. Catch up on your sleep and with your boys this week!

Ginger Breadman said...

Don't worry about sentimentality - emotions make you human. I still can't believe in only 5 years of running you've accomplished so much - you're amazing!

Rick Gaston said...

Great to have you back.

Hilda said...

Nice you are back, thought it was going to last longer it should be a loong trip to get there!

Congratulation for mother's day yesterday and for the joy of being such a great runner!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the five years of running and may there be many more. I am glad you got a chance to go back and see your family. I cannot imagine what it would be like to be so far away from mine.

Sarah said...

Sounds like a whirlwind trip! Congrats on your 5-yr running anniversary. I've been running 5 yrs too and in the next 5 yrs I can only hope to accomplish half of what you've done!

psbowe said...

Olga, happy to learn you had the opportunity to go home and see family.
Congrats on your anniversary and wish you many more.
Btw, you're a monster to do that kind of back-to-back races like that.
Looking frwrd to this weekend, get to meet Rob!

Lora said...

Welcome back! Traveling is awesome, but there's nothing like coming back home. Happy belated Mom's Day! You've done great in your 5 years of running--hope you had a cake!! :)

Liv said...

Wow, only 5 years and you are already an accomplished ultrarunner. Imagine what the next 5 will bring!!

Kim said...

Happy anniversary to your running!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.