If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you are lucky enough.

When something bad happens, you have three choices: let it define you, let it destroy you, or let it strengthen you.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Getting ready

Aww, Rob made me weep. I was about to post how, poor me, I had to slog through a trail run for an hour and half on Monday and add miles by x-training, then on Tuesday, instead of going for intervals, I jogged without a watch for 25 loops around a track (just to make sure it’s a square 6 miles), and today totally dissed running for stairmaster – my calf gives me a shout. Now what?

What I also wanted to mention today is that every time I am sidelined by injury, I realize again and again how much I love running. I’d see someone on the street – and think: why am I driving? I’d picture trails - and think: why am I at work? Even as I am huffing and puffing at the gym, I am drawn to a treadmill (and this would be my last option on Earth!). There is nothing more beautiful, more free, more fluid, more natural, than running motion. It doesn’t matter how awkward we may be while doing it – it’s still the perfect creation.

Where does it leave me for this weekend? It leaves me with my tickets to Salt Lake City, a 2 hrs drive to Orem, a sleepless night in a hotel room – and about 12 hours of exploring Wasatch mountain range. I might be tired, I could be in pain, and I will be gasping for air – but I won’t be alone. As always, you, guys, every one of you, who supported me through a positive word, a short comment, a quick phone call or a warm thought (and yes, Craig, a prayer) – will be on my journey with me. I will have plenty of time to go through each of your posts, remember your adventures in life and on the run, think of my own struggles and happy moments…and I will have that finishing kick, however the rest of the race goes!

The bags are packed, the pace chart is glued to the bottles, I've got new RaceReady shorts (woohoo, love all the pockets!), my co-workers supplied me with tons of new music for my I-Pod (practically didn't work today - downloading is a big deal for computer-impaired third-world country gal), all the leftovers of my Carbo-Pro is in the individual packets, my Gregory pack is full of gear (rain-stuff, food, gloves)...I think I am ready. Bring it on! Rob, here we come:)

21 comments:

Backofpack said...

Why, I think I detect a note of enthusiasm! I'll think of you too, Olga, while I'm running my relay legs.

Did I mention to you that Eric is running the WR 50 Mile? He took Darcy's registration. Do you have a place to stay?

Unknown said...

We will run together in spirit. Although I think yours will be much more scenic and much softer than the pavement I will be pounding.

Sarah said...

I love your zest for running..and life, Olga! If anyone can do it, you can.
: )

Liv said...

Go Olga go!

Ginger Breadman said...

"There is nothing more beautiful, more free, more fluid, more natural, than running motion." - your quote says it all - have an amazing weekend!

tryathlete said...

... and Superwoman is off!

matt said...

vsego horoshego, olya!! :)

Jack said...

Have a great race, sounds like a beautiful place to run'!

Donald said...

I envy your spontaneity to pack up and fly off to a beautiful area for a race. Have a good weekend.

Rick Gaston said...

Woohoo and there you go! Please take care of that calf! Can't wait to see you again at WS and I'd rather see you WITHOUT a limp.

Love2Run said...

Olga,
You are going to rock! Have a great weekend and bring back happy thoughts and nice pictures for all of us left back home ;-)

Lora said...

Oh gosh....looks like an amazing trail race!! I checked out your link on the sidebar--there was snow there last year, wow, quite the challenge!

Best of luck racing--can't wait to hear all about it!

Anonymous said...

I wish I had your will power. I was too tired from all the biking this weekend so I took a day off. What a wus. I'm still good for a run the 10th. Don't let that Butt of yours get too skinny. I like it with some bounce.

Julie B said...

Hi Olga, thank you for leaving me a message on my blog. I haven't found many woman ultra running blogs. I can't wait to read through your posts. Have a great race!

Hilda said...

At this moment where are you? It is always exciting to think about what you are doing in this very moment... guess what, running!

Looking forward to read more of your races reports!

Anonymous said...

bring it on!!!!

You are probably half-way through your race as I write this, and I am sending positive thoughts your way. Your continued support has meant so much to me over the last few months - your faith in me means so much.

I wish you great fun today!!!

Rafael said...

I think in hell, the only place to run will be on a treadmill.

Legs and Wings said...

Hi Olga,

I believe it's race day so I trust that it went well for you. Great entry. I appreciate your thoughts...I am amazed by your energy!

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Anonymous said...

I find some information here.

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info Wwwbingocom Michigan state university band fight song Extra celebrex Maryland corrective eye surgery center gum pain and topamax