If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you are lucky enough.

When something bad happens, you have three choices: let it define you, let it destroy you, or let it strengthen you.

Thursday, April 14, 2022

Three for Three

I guess it has been 3 months, huh? Well, who would have thought. I am sitting here, drinking disgusting thing and eyeing the toilet as a prep for my colonoscopy tomorrow, so figured might as well quickly do a little update. Because I truly barely remember what had gone in those last 3 month - but I did run 3 races! That's the excitement for the year 2022, 4 months, 4 races, great running, amazing training, and 4 first-place age 50 female group. Bam!

Anyhow, where was I stopped? After all that January in Arizona with Annie trip, Larry and I went for some Monarch skiing, and tackled more blacks in a great weather. Then we got enough snow right in town, so that I could do some cross-country skiing out of the front door. It's been pretty bitter cold, but the training continued full force, despite sub-0 temps (and I am talking Fahrenheit!).  We've rediscovered Red Rocks open space, which sort of connects two major training grounds - High Drive leading to Cheyenne mountain trail system, and Pikes Peak proper. It's been so much fun!






The time has come, and I was signed up for yet another race in Arizona - Black Canyon 60k. I rolled my points from some previous year. I flew on the day the 100k option was going, and at their mid-point hung out for a bit. I found Craig Thornley on the trail with a Hoka rep - Craig is now a big name as an RD of WS100, but we go back way when y'all wore diapers, running together in Oregon. I think we figured we haven't seen each other in good 10 years or close to it. Anyway, we saw all the front runners go by, cheered on breaking-down Devon, then I found my way to an overnight stay. I was rooming with Pam Smith, and she showed up after finishing her 100k race, what lead to a nearly all-night chats reminiscing the past (as with Craig, we go back so long ago, it's not even funny). My turn come, and I was as ready as could be. The trails were all open, and the temps hit 85F. Coming from Colorado winter, it was brutal to keep up with hydration. I thought I did all I could, but in the last 2 sections 2 bottles were not enough, and I slightly bonked - luckily with a mere 2 miles to the end. I didn't quite reach my goal, but still got a great race under my belt, and a growing sense of "I am back".



In other news, we've become quite the regular to Aravaipa Colorado chapter trail running group - every Monday night we're at the location. After a couple of tries, I confirmed that I prefer the solitude on my runs, and after checking in, I venture on my own - I also prefer more miles than the group does - but after everyone comes back and hangs out and talks (and some drink beer, which I do not partake in, such a boring human I am). Larry, bless his heart, keeps spreading stories about my past, so I am getting some nods and a little respect. Either way, it's just fun to connect, not quite like good ol' times, but still.
After Black Canyon race, I enforced a recovery week, at last, and we road-tripped to Durango for 3 days, to ski Purgatory. It was an amazing get-away, perfect weather, great skiing, and we even ran daily!




After that - it was training full speed. I got a taste of it, and there was no stopping me. Long runs, double-a-day, quality. All with gym sessions 4 times a week, and added backpack hikes. Miles piled in, and I reached 90 mpw as my previous "normal". THAT felt absolutely amazing! We celebrated Russian "blinzes day" as a start of Lent, and then Women's day on March 8th. Larry progressed in his training, and that is a point of pride on its own. He hasn't trained since my body shut down, what makes it good 8 years or so. Consistency is paying off, his miles are raking in, and long runs are getting longer and stronger!



Mid-March rolled in, and it was time for another race! This time local, a Salida trail marathon (with 4500 ft og gain, and going to 9k, mind you). I had goals, and this time - I absolutely crashed it! I was tentatively planning for 5:30, more thinking of 6 hrs, and I ended up in 5:19, and passing people like there's no tomorrow since mile 11! I even beat JT. Annie came to support me, and it was so neat to have her see me doing so well! She's one excited puppy-like girl, and I love her so very much. We have a very special relationship that can not be shoved into one description. What started as an off-chance encounter, and being literally forced into each other's lives by John Sharp (who was an off-chance encounter with her to begin with), it developed from mentorship to crew to full-on support in her ultras and her respect for my past and present (and future), we're friends, yet almost like a mother-daughter, but on that level where real mom-kids can't quite discuss things - yet we can. I serve as her calming force, she - as my sparkly bubbly excitement. I bring experience and realism. She - speed, smiles, and believe in "it's going to be just perfect". We go far beyond ultrarunning, and this bond is very meaningful to me, more than I thought I am capable of at this point of my life.

After that race, we both drove to her home. My darling Annie was turning 24 next day, and her idea of celebrating was to run 24 hrs. But of course! She was to start at midnight, and I was her first pacer - going for 6+ miles in the middle of the night. She then had her various friends join for miles and hours, I did what I do best - crew, and eventually drove home.

Having gotten a taste of 90 mpw of quality training, I wanted more. Without as much as taking any time off, I dove into 3 more 90 mpw for the next cycle following my Salida success. I added vert, tempo runs on top of shorter speed sessions, and kept pressing the gas pedal to the floor. It was a bliss.





In the midst of it all, I actually finished a cardigan (long time no serious knitting!), Annie and her friend/roommate won awards of their "best" categories in Leadville (and Annie wore a sweater I knit for her), Larry occasionally sat down to piano, and I cooked a LOT of good dishes. Working part time rocks!




And here was April, with its own race! This time I opted for a Zion 50k in Utah, because I had never ran with Vacation Races company, and because my best friend Ronda - one of very few old-time friends going all the way back into 2004 - lived near by! I visited her in October, and was longing for more conversations and good times! We had all that - and we both had fantastic races! She did half-marathon as she's in the midst of her Ironman training coming up next month (this woman keeps taking on new challenges at the ripe age of "it's just a number!"). I, on the other hand, absolutely NAILED my 50k! I had a goal of 6 hrs, and wasn't even sure if it's possible - it's been a long time since I could do that. Yet, I did my thing, bid my time, moved through the field, and crashed it with 5:53!!! What a freaking insanity! I am always having hard time to believe that I am racing, but God knows, I absolutely LOVE training, and then testing my limits. There are NO limits! Well, I surely an grateful, after so many years.



On this note, the upcoming months are going to be even BUSIER! If it's even possible. This weekend I am volunteering at Rattler races in our local Palmer Park (put on by Mad Moose). I have (after this one) 2 more huge training weeks, then going to AZ (again!) to CREW and PACE Annie in her Cocodona 256 mile race (we have huge goals! and that's a 4 day thing!). Then, as soon as I fly back, I jump in the car with Larry and drive up to Fort Collins, where he runs 25 mile race - yay for my honey's coming back to it as well, it's been an amazing fun to continue bonding! - and I am volunteering. A tiny little week (during which I am going to try and catch up on sleep) - and I am facing my first official 50 mile race since 2014 (I know, I already ran a 100 miler, but it's different). It's right here, local, put on by Aravaipa, and I surely hope to do well on my home turf. Then, a little recovery/turn around for a local 25 mile race put by another company Revenant Running, and full-on 3 weeks prep to the biggest adventure of my life. This, my friends, where I shall end up this scramble of a post. A bathroom break is in order, if you know what I mean:)))

No comments: