If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you are lucky enough.

When something bad happens, you have three choices: let it define you, let it destroy you, or let it strengthen you.

Sunday, June 20, 2021

What recovery?

The day after a 100, while my body overall was doing well (if tired), my left lower leg developed a weird numbing and tingling sensation. As if you sit on it and it goes "asleep", and then you try to stand up. Constant. With occasional "electric shock" waves through it hitting hard, and never "nothing". I waited. Tuesday it stayed, got worse even. I thought ok, I got massage scheduled for Friday, for now just roll. Did an Incline on Wednesday, got massage, did my work (the one where I stand on my feet all day long tending to other people's problems). Did a mountain thing on Friday, went up Mt Rosa (15 miles with over 4k gain) on Saturday with Larry. Even jogged down. It was a gorgeous morning spent with my honey.





By the end of it, the leg was really shooting pain. Monday I checked with my chiro doc (I work for), got checked for all kind of reflexes and adjustments. By then, I already self-diagnosed: Sural Neuropathy. Had to actually explain it to my doc, a rare thing - of course, I don't have easy disorders. Story of my life. Here's some info for curious minds:
The sural nerve is a pure sensory nerve and can be entrapped in several different locations causing pain in the calf as well as the lateral ankle and foot. When injured by trauma or compression, neuropathic pain, burning, and cutaneous allodynia may occur.
Sural mononeuropathy if affected, can be due to a mass lesion such as a ganglion or to trauma, which is the most common cause.[10] Sometimes inflammatoryor vasculitic diseases will selectively involve the sural nerve. In addition, the sural nerve will be involved in any kind of generalized peripheral sensory or sensorimotor neuropathy. Sensory changes from sural neuropathy are variable but usually occur in the postero-lateral aspect of the leg and the dorso-lateral foot. These can sometimes be painful with paresthesias and dysesthesias.[11] 
https://journals.lww.com/ajpmr/Fulltext/2001/07000/Isolated_Sural_Neuropathy_Presenting_as_Lateral.17.aspx
The left lower leg definitely "buzzing" with tingling, electric type shock, and numbness, plus sort of pressure from inside. Doesn't affect much uphill climb, but downhill just feels weird, like I stomp my leg down and am not certain where I put it. Got to see a PT (different one, since my gal left, I don't really like the guy, but I was desperate), had to tell him a diagnosis (which he with full aplomb didn't believe, but alas, after all checks agreed with). Not much to do, really, though I got Graston, dry needling and whatever else he did.

Anyhow, 8 days after a 100, I PR'ed on Incline. The following day, I did my 6th Pikes Peak - the streak lives on. It was all dry to the top, gorgeous day, if very hot. I got quite dehydrated with 5.5 bottles, but worse thing, managed to slide-trip/not sure how and Superman a mere 0.5 miles from the bottom, end of my (fastest) up-and-down Pikes this year. I really felt great all the way (which is miraculous, considering soo soon after a 100 miler), ran into a few folks I knew, smiled happy. Then - bam! In front of a couple I was passing. Knee gash so deep and huge, flop of skin/fat hanging over, blood all over the trail (literally, a puddle). Shocked people. Got up, jogged to the end - splashing streaming blood all over my leg and shoe (Larry was able to clean it up). Ah, life is fun...





Well, it's better. Healing. Didn't get stitches, no time for that. A gaping hole under my knee is exactly what I need to the next adventure I have up my sleeve. That, and my lower leg/foot still buzzing. It'll be something, I tell ya. Less than 2 weeks to "go" time. I think I will lay low with the pics of the rest of the workouts, but physically speaking, I am all good. Summer is here, temps are high, and life is beautiful.





No comments: