If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you are lucky enough.

When something bad happens, you have three choices: let it define you, let it destroy you, or let it strengthen you.

Sunday, March 14, 2021

Got this out of the way for 2021

I have this thing to Superman on a trail at least once a year - well, once a year pretty hard, and then just tripping and falling a little less dramatic. And I mean - Superman, clip a root/rock/invisible spider - and off I go straight down, arms outstretched forward, full body slam on the ground, if the downhill is even remotely steep, then slide on, and God forbid there are rocks and things on the trail...Well, this past Friday at mile 7 of my 22 mile long run, excited to finally see dirt on the trails around me...it happened. Luckily for me, it was a completely smooth dirt trail on this section (and I snagged the one and only littlest root sticking up). I flew, and as usual, everything seemed to go in slow motion. Bam, and in a split second I am considering the damage...dirt from toes to upper chest, but limbs are moving, and face is safe. I wale for a minute - I always do, no tears, just kind of wimping aloud - and then pull my sleeves and pants up. The normal outcome, knees, elbows, hands (despite layers of clothes). But nothing major, and thanks for those clothes, nothing deep (this one was forever my worst so far). Limp a few minutes, and start jogging, again.

No, I wasn't taking pictures when I fell. On a contrary, I felt so relaxed and comfortable and elated to not be on the snow, and I wasn't even going fast by any means - my damn hamstrings have been tight and aching more than usual this week, probably complaining about last week's Pikes Peak and not one, but two Inclines in a row (as a side note, I was texting with my friend Pam describing how after each run I can't even bend over to get my shoes/pants off or sit down, and forget even trying after a long run - that's what Larry's for). Anyhow, probably exactly because I was stiffly not lifting my feet off the ground did I clip that tiny root. Oh, well. The fog rolled in shortly after, and somehow I did finish the whole 22 miles with 4,600 feet of gain. I promise I was trying to avoid big climbs. At the parking lot I met 3 awesome local runners, it was so nice to actually talk, introduce myself, feel an interest, exchange conversation...time to get to know people.


The Inclines went as supposed to, on Tuesday (regular day) I was in recovery mode and slow-ish, though the steps up and Barr trail down were bare of snow. OMG, I haven't seen dirt in a long time! That's why I went back on Thursday, and nailed a PR on the up part (for the year, and also for non-stop ascend, not overall), and had my down-Barr time be pretty close to summer time. The mornings were so totally different! First one provided me with beautiful sunset just as I summited, and second covered me in deep fog. No matter how many times I get up, the experience is always worth the work.

Saturday I slogged through the streets in a oh-so-memorable Portland-like drizzle for 15 miles, and soon after the snow storm arrived. Of course. Our weekly bipolar Colorado, mid-60's for 5 days, snow for 2 days, repeat. I was trying to be done prior its appearance, so roads worked. Lots of cooking commenced past week, maybe I should start a cooking blog! I used my Ninja pressure cooker to make whole chicken for the first time, made fish-veggies Tikka Masala, butternut squash and beef stew, chow mein. Totally loving it. Probably should hold off pictures.😛

Sunday we woke up to a layer of wet snow, less than a foot though, likely due to warm ground and stuff melting as it was coming the day and night before. Pretty, but heavy snow, both to move in, or to shovel (which I did both of, plus I walked to a grocery store, just because). 
After breakfast Larry entertained himself with painting the ceiling in the last room that still had ugly dark weird color (the walls will have to wait), while I was making crepes - it is Maslenica for Russian Orthodox folks, making and eating blinzes as a celebration of the end of winter (ha!). At least in my case I know for sure this holiday is greatly appreciated!



It'll probably be pretty boring here for the next 3 weeks or so, putting down the work - at work and in running - and betting on the weather, figuring out whether some weekend long runs should be mountains, or simply suck-it-up roads. Building up carefully trying not to blow up. I sort of forgot that fine line, which now is so much thinner. There's probably one more ski trip we will get to do, and then retire skis until next season. I am really looking forward more consistent sunshine, dry trails, less clothes, and blooming trees. 
Just want to share this video of Alex Nichols and his Pikes Peak challenge (going on for 40 months). I feel validated in my attempts hearing that he still says it's never easy. Besides, thanks, man (in a good and sarcastic way alike) for sharing it, now I am totally addicted!

3 comments:

Melodie Monberg said...

How's your back!?!?! After a wipe out like that, I'd be immobile for a long while. I just did a post on stroller friendly trails in Colorado Springs. When you get sick of city streets, head to those trails- cement or hard gravel so you could log some serious miles (and hey, kids in strollers count as fun interaction right?! )

Olga said...

Back is ok, thanks! And you're late, I already read that post on trail system of gravel wide paths, and already thought I need to go venture. Just a little apprehensive to go at dark through certain parts, since I start by 5:30 am. Soon though, once we get more morning light, thank you for highlighting it!

Jill Homer said...

Ugh, I feel those wipeouts. I have on average one hard fall a month during summer trail-running / hiking (I manage most of my trip-and-falls at walking speeds, so it's more of a crumple to the ground than a full Superman, but I still usually end up with trail rash and bruises.) This is just another reason why I prefer the forgiving nature of snow. :) But even I am excited for summer mountain season.